The Exeter Express and Echo has reported on the sentencing of a man convicted for committing religiously aggravated criminal damage after he attacked a mosque. The man had watched news reports on the desecration of Commonwealth graves in Libya before committing the offence.
From the local paper:
“A man launched a drunken attack on a mosque after watching a news report about the desecration of Commonwealth graves in Libya.
“Barry Stanbury, 42, was caught on CCTV cameras at shortly before 2.30am on March 5, wandering around the Exeter Mosque before a window was smashed, Exeter magistrates heard.
“The court was told Stanbury was wearing "a distinctive hoodie" with a logo of a large cross on it, and a police officer recognised the defendant.
“When interviewed Stanbury said he was "so drunk he did not remember doing it".
The judge prosecuting told the court that Stanbury’s motive for the attack “was seeing on the news that Commonwealth graves had been desecrated in Libya.”
The article continues, “Stanbury… denied racially or religiously aggravated criminal damage at the mosque but was convicted after a trial.
“Magistrates sentenced him to 80 hours unpaid work, £100 compensation and pay £150 costs.”
|< Prev||Next >|